Sunday, July 15, 2012

Normalcy..

It's been about a week since I posted last and apparently from what I have gone back to read- I was on my death bed (literally). So I am happy to report that it did (just like everyone said) get better. Up until about 10 days post chemo treatment, life was full with the obviously issues (as stated previously) and annoying little side effects. But the last few days have been pretty close to normal. I never thought I would ever miss "feeling" normal, but I can promise it's AMAZING!

I have enjoyed some of my old habits (due to the increase in energy and decrease in side effects) and would like to share a few. 
  • I enjoyed a diet dr. pepper! To those of you who know me, DDP is my vice and unfortunately with the side effects, my taste buds weren't having it. So YAY!
  • Ability to go a whole day with just one nap. It may have been a 2 1/2 hr nap, but it was ONLY one.
  • I was able to mow my back lawn (which is NOT big, but still an accomplishment). However, along with that comes a back story. My dear husband was headed out for a flight (he flies helicopters) and told me to relax, he would mow the lawn when he returned. So I agreed, but when my bordeom set in, which it usually does-I headed out back with one goal in mind. Needless to say, about half way through I hear a helicopter over the house, sure enoug- it was him. He had caught me red handed. (He was showing his buddy our house and just so happen to see me mowing- talk about a coincidence). He still gives me a hard time, but to me, it was TOTALLY worth it.
  • My next fun adventure was playing in our soccer game. We had signed up for a co-ed league before I was diagnosed and I have played a handful of times. Well this was the first time since chemo and I was able to hold my own. Definitely not where I used to be, but I could run farther than 20 yds without being winded (which is also good, knowing maybe that darn tumor in my chest is already shrinking). I came away with a few momentos (as I don't know how to take it easy), but the "feeling" of normalcy was amazing. (My body was pretty ticked the next day, in which I spent most of the day in bed).

I begin my second round on Tuesday. I hope I'm going into this one with a little bit more knowledge. I made a journal, of when the specific side effects hit and the remedies I used for them. My plan is to prepare before they happen. I have been told that your body will react to the chemo the same EVERY time. So I am praying my next post will be much less aggresive.

Over the weekend I was speaking with a guy who is a cancer survivor and he was giving me insights on chemo. He had Non-Hodgekin's Lymphoma, however, his treatment was MUCH more invasive than mine. I was immediately humbled. It's hard for me to complain when I know there are SO MANY people who have endured worse things in this life. Yes I have cancer, but I will survive. I have treatments every other week, many people have chemo EVERYDAY. Some people have lost loved ones, may never walk again, or can't afford a place to sleep. Of the latter sentence, I have been blessed to not endure any of those challenges. There is so much good the lord has given to all of us, myself included. I hope that we can all continue to "Count our blessing's" and I know the lord will help us with our challenges. 

I love you all so much. Your kind words continue to inspire me and help me everyday.

God bless and Love will conquer cancer!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on Tuesday! That story about the helicopter was hilarious! Keep staying strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bre, I have been thinking about you all day. I am of course worried for round 2 tomorrow. You have an amazing husband, but I wish he would let mom and dad do something for you once in awhile...I know I should not complain, I am just wanting to be that doting mom that gets on your nerves, lol! I did enjoy yelling at you for playing soccer though, you forgot to tell everyone how a guy on the other team slammed into your port-a-cathe causing you severe pain. I do think playing soccer is a bit too much for you when you are recooperating. Please NO MORE!!! Love, your annoying mother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had fun at dinner tonight. Thanks for letting me know that my post above was too cheesy and that people do not post lol anymore...I am old and don't really care to keep up with the current trends, you will just have to put up with my old fashioned ways, Love you, mom.

    ReplyDelete