Monday, July 23, 2012

Round Two...

Well Round two went a little better than the first. I can honestly say that I may or may not have a grasp on what to expect now.

The day of chemo I loaded up on anti-nausea medicine. I was able to get two different drugs that I was able to switch off every few hours (yes seems like a lot, but completely safe and worth the relief). It's amazing how potent the poison is. Even with my system loaded with the meds, there was still a small feeling of nausea (but definitely manageable).  I did a whole bunch of sleeping again for the following 2-3 days. My waking hours maybe totaling 10 hrs a day (such an exciting life, BE JEALOUS).  Then just as before, about the fourth day following chemo, the mouth sores bore their ugly face again (not as bad as the first time, thanks to Lysine, but there).  I guess more than anything, those mouth sores are the worst. They completely change my diet (probably for the better). I drink so much flipping water, I'm surprised I haven't flooded my system yet. Crystal light has become my best friend.

On to the other side effects. My poor hair is getting worse. It is starting to thin out regardless of my best efforts to save it (organic shampoo is not my favorite, but supposed to help). It's not falling out in clumps, but i do lose hair just by touching it. So I am trying to mentally prepare myself for the inevitable. I can't quite decide if I will go with a wig or own the bald head. Guess I will continue to ponder until I have to cross that bridge.

Weight loss has occured, but not in the mass amounts most would expect. I have lost about 10 pounds, which is a lot for me considering I have plateued on my weight since college. Probably would have  been more, except for the fact that I eat a milk shake or Vanilla Bean  Frappuccino everyday (I blame the mouth sores).  I will need to get that in check in a few months, or I will gain ten fold, but again will cross that bridge when I get there. ha.

My immune system is also down. When my blood was analyzed before my last chemo session, it was obvious my white blood count was low, meaning I have to be extra careful to not catch a flu bug. Along with that comes the following: no contact with children (SOOO HARD, i have the cutest nieces and nephews that I can no longer hold or touch, it will be a long 4 months), no buffets (not super hard, never been a fan), no sushi (poor chase), etc. So pretty much I'm bubble girl, viewing the world through my clean barriers. I guess it's worth it to stay alive. :)

With my immune system being low, I have been advised to take some time off work.  I work with the public and am not able to control if an individual I enteract with is sick, etc. So I'm on medical leave (such a great benefit, so happy these programs are in place). But for those of you who know me, can imagine that I'm already over it. I am so flippin bored, I could die (tad dramatic, but you get my drift). Needless to say I frequent the DI atleast once a week and have many projects brewing (pictures to come).

My attitude has continued to stay positive. I do have my pity party moments (I'm human). I know we all have our different challenges, I just pray we all have a way and or someone to cry to- when it gets that bad. I'm blessed with an amazing husband/family who are so supportive and can handle my mini break downs. We are only as strong as our support systems, so if anyone every needs someone, I'm here! I can feel the strength of all your support, it truely helps when I have my breakdowns, to know I have so many people in my corner.

Happy Pioneer Day! Love you all, God Bless,
Love Conquers Cancer!

4 comments:

  1. Love you Bre!! Im just starting and finishing your blog posts to date. You're amazing girl... :] PROUD OF YOU. You are definitely a fighter, Keep it up.. the prayers are coming. Heavenly Father knows you and what you need, as I'm sure you are learning each day. Keep us posted; you're inspiring!
    Love ya -Angela Folsom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BreAnne, I read your whole blog today. In about ten minutes. Really well done. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Cancer is so prevelant but it's not often that people get an insight into the day-to-day life of someone fighting it. I just found out from Kelsie Frandsen (my co-worker) about this difficult time in your life. Your positivity really shows in your blog. I'm sure your attitude is just as effective as any chemotherapy that you receive. I wish you nothing but the best. I will keep reading your posts, so keep them coming, and best of luck with your challenges. Keep on fightin'! -Curtis Tonks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear round 2 went better than round 1! When my hair began to fall out, I opted for cute hats! Keep hanging in there! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bre, I am so happy that you did much better this time around. When I see you you look so healthy and pretty that no one would know what you are going through just by looking at you. You are still thinking of others even when you are sick. Scotty loves the shirts, thank you. Maybe soccer this week if you feel up to it! We love you girl, love mom. p.s. Cute hats sound fun for you!

    ReplyDelete