Monday, October 29, 2012

The Results......

Hello all, I apologize that it has been yet another month since I have posted! However the last three weeks have been one crazy ride! Enjoy!

Final chemo:

This day was extremely exciting and I looked forward (as much as possible) to finishing this journey off. Everything went smoothly at the infusion center, however I did notice that I was a bit more nauseated than normal. However, determined to have a positive attitude, I ignored it. When I finished with chemo, the whole staff of nurses came over and sang a sweet goodbye song! I cried like a baby and wiped my tears with the cute soft blanket they gave me. I have never had so many mixed emotions in my life.

That night, I was just as sick as the first chemo I ever received. I couldn't figure out why the reaction was so bad. The next morning I woke up extremely hot, red and puffy-all over my body (as if I didn't feel bad enough already). Called the doctor, she explained that people can develop an allergic reaction to chemo over time (AWESOME). I was instructed to take Benedryl to help my body fight the reaction (it only took about 3 doses, ONLY). Needless to say, I definitely know how to go OUT with a bang.

The results:
The day had finally come for them to let me know my fate. We were left waiting in the room nearly 45 minutes and I couldn't stop pacing. I was emotional for obvious reasons, and the lack of sleep the night prior didn't help.

When she arrived, her first words were the following: "Your right hip was lite up on the scan...." (I wanted to die, I didn't have the cancer in my bones 4 months ago, how could it have gotten worse, tears started to fall)..."Did you get into an accident or something? It's not cancer, but some severe trauma" (Seriously lady, couldn't you lead with that information) I replied "No accident, but I did take a cleat to the hip in a soccer game 4 months ago, which I still have a bruise, could that be the issue?"  Indeed it was, she scolded me for soccer, stating that my body can't recover normally when my counts were low. Ha.

Moving on, she proceeded to show Chase and I that the cancer was gone. There weren't any hot spots and the large mass in my chest had shrunk significantly in size. She was confident that all that remained was scar tissue. I have never felt such relief. I can't put into words all the different emotions I experienced in a matter of minutes. I'm blessed, truly blessed.

My oncologist was willing to let me free (or that is how I felt) until January when I get my next PET scan to make sure I'm still cancer free.  She did warn me about my immune system and that getting sick would be horrible. My white blood count is 1800 and a normal adult count is 4500-10,000. Needless to say, it will probably take a little while to become completely "healthy".

Next steps in treatment:
Right after that appointment I headed to see my radiologist. This was our second meeting and we went over the protocols again. I start radiation on November 5th and have 20 sessions. This is done daily Monday through Friday. My last session will be December 4th.  Again radiation will make me fatigued and I will get a sore esophagus/chest due to the radiation beam in that area. However, it will be MUCH easier than chemotherapy.

That day I had to get fitted for my face and shoulder mask, that I will wear as a protection during the radiation. For those of you who know me, realize that I am extremely claustrophobic. They layed me on a narrow table and casually tell me that this huge plastic mesh thing will be placed on my face and I can't move (I wasn't worried, thinking it would be about 2 minutes). They placed the mask on and proceed to tape it down, and let me know I can't move for 15 minutes (sheer panic set in). I couldn't open my eyes and my mouth hole wasn't big enough to part my lips. I made it about 5 minutes, before I started bouncing my legs and arms (I'm sure I looked as though I was seizing). The tech came in to calm me down (like they do children), I eventually made it the whole 3 hours (or so it seemed). 

As if that wasn't bad enough, then they tell me of the "tattoos" I was going to receive as well. By this point I'm already traumatized, what's one more thing. For these tattoos, the tech told me to expect a "really bad bee sting". I had to get one on my chest and one on each side under my arm pits, (They will be my reference points every time I go under the radiation light to make sure I am lined up correctly). She counted to three and I honestly couldn't feel anything, (really lady, take up the easy stuff and don't mention the entrapment previously experienced). At the end of the day, I SURVIVED!

Long term effects:
I have yet to discuss many long term effects, however, now that I am in remission, I feel as though it is appropriate. Many people have asked about fertility or ability to have children. The chemotherapy that I received has come a long way with allowing patients to still have their own children. It is completely 50/50 and I hope and pray that I am a lucky one.  If I can't have my own, Chase and I will still be parents to loving babies through different means.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma has a relapse rate that is the highest in the first two years of remission. I will be scanned every 4 months the first year and every 6 the second year. After that, the chance of getting HD again are so low, they stop scanning patients. In case of a relapse the prognosis is still in the 90% range.

Due to the placement of the radiation, it does put me at a greater risk for breast cancer later on in life. For this reason I will begin mammograms in about 10 years. Its all about early detection, as it is with everything, that will keep me alive.

I feel as though I have written a novel and I apologize. It is important that I express my gratitude for ALL of YOU. I can honestly say that your prayers, thoughts, and encouragement has been felt and appreciated. I couldn't have done this without the constant love and positive outpouring that I received. You are all amazing examples of charity and I will forever be grateful.

I find myself looking back at all the events that have happened and can say without a doubt there was a higher power pulling my puppet strings. I believe that this cancer was put into my life so I could in return help others. Whether it be a helping hand in a similar situation, educating, etc.  Knowing that makes it seem not so bad and I feel honored to be called to help others. The lord loves all of us and works through us, we just have to "listen" to our special jobs.

God Bless and LOVE DID CONQUER CANCER!

5 comments:

  1. Bre, I am sooooo HaaaaPpppYyyy that all is clear. You are my "Browned Eyed Girl"! I am proud to call you "daughter". I am also thankful for all the prayers, and encouragement of friends and family. I hope you will always continue to be strong and fight against anything that may knock you down. You better always, keep getting up.......I love you, mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Bre!!! Thank you for sharing..I am so happy for you. God is SOOOOOO good. You are such a testimony to others with your positive outlook and strength. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. The radiation can burn you...put on the medicine BEFORE you see or feel the burn...I did that and NEVER did burn...just tanned in the area they radiated. I told them they should at least make the tats fun! haha May God continue to bless you and your family. Keep us posted...late or not, we all love to hear how you are. You inspire me!!! Lots of Love, Gina Smedley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!! I knew you could do it!! I've been in remission for 14 years and had a baby 5 years ago. You will be just fine in that department I am sure!! :) I do worry too about the breast cancer so I get checked regularly. Again, congrats! You are a survivor!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Bre! I've been anxiously awaiting your news. So, so happy for you. Thanks for being willing to share your journey with me and others. You have been an inspiration to me and such a good example of having a positive attitude in the face of such adversity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete