Monday, June 25, 2012

The Beginning....

Hello World!!!

Thanks so much for reading! I am completely new to this blogging world and I hope that you all will be patient with me as I learn how the process works!

 I strongly debated on going public with this information, however; If I can help just one individual going through the same things I am, then all of it is worth it. I will be sharing my experience as it unfolds and my fight with Hodgkin's Lymphoma takes off. 

Where did it all begin?!

About three weeks ago I found a swollen/painful lymph node in my neck just above my collar bone, didn't think much of it other than I would probably be sick over the weekend. Well Monday arrived without any sickly symptoms and  I had found yet another painful/swollen lymph node on my sternum. I decided it was time to get them checked out.

I went for a appointment with my family practioner, who sent me for a chest xray that night. (I remember thinking that was a tad extreme, however I did as I was told and I am so grateful I did). Those results came back abnormal and I was advised to have a Chest CT scan done immediately.

The next day I was sent for a STAT-(again, a little much, I mean I wasn't dying or anything) chest CT scan at a local hospital. I received a phone call that evening informing of the results. There were numerous swollen lymph nodes in my chest and a large mass (about 7 cm)lodged between my trachea (wind pipe) and mildly compressing my Superior Vena Cava (major heart artery). These results were most common with lymphoma and I was advised to seek an oncologist immediately. (What were my feelings at this point, complete denial, I thought they were nuts, however; I still followed orders just in case).

I called the local Cancer institute in my area the following morning where I was scheduled for an excisional biopsy of the lymph node above my collar bone. About two days later I received the official confirmation that it was indeed Hodgkin's Lymphoma-nodular sclerosis type. Which brings me to the present. I am currently waiting for my PET scan to see where the cancer is in my body, so they may properly stage the progress and begin my treatment regimen with will consist primarly of chemotherapy and possibly some radiation.

WHAT? WHY? HOW?

No this cancer doesn't run in my family. Yes it is very common in young adults and is typically aggressive in nature.
Did I feel any symptoms? Yes, within 10 days of finding the lymph node in my neck, it became difficult to be active let alone walk up the stairs in my house (something I will never get used to). I am also extremely tired, usually napping around 3 hours a day, while sleeping 8+ hours a night.

Success rate? Hodgkin's Lymphoma is one of the most treatable cancers out there. Chemotherapy is very effective in killing and keeping this cancer in remission.

My feelings since finding out the diagnosis haven't really changed. I can talk about it without weeping. I accept the challenge and with the love and support of my amazing family, friends and all those in between; I KNOW I WILL BE FINE. I believe that positive thinking can only make any situation better and I can only afford to have the positive WILL TO LIVE!

I will keep this updated as often as possible. Please feel free to ask questions, as that is why I am keeping it public!

God bless!

10 comments:

  1. Wow you really are amazing and I think about you all the time. Your attitude is awesome and you are such a fighter. Thanks for sharing with us. Hope you know our thoughts and prayers are with you. Let us know if you need anything.
    Love, Megan Hilton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bwee, how I love you my friend. You will get through this and show everyone how "getting through it" is done with your positive attitude! I've been so impressed and amazed with your positivity and faith in our Lord. He will be by your side during this and of course so will I! Love you girl and LOVE the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me. You are brave for taking this public, but I know that it will help your family and friends (us) help you fight this. I agree that a positive attitude will be key and you've got it! My prayers are with you Bre. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. I know it has been a long time, and we were never super close, but I wanted you to know that I'm sorry that you are going through this, but what an amazing attitude and outlook on life you have! You are truly an inspiration! I have a friend who was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Limphoma when she was 23. If you would like to talk to someone who has been there, please let me know. I'm sure she would be happy to connect with you.
    Good luck with everything! Your amazing attitude will get you through this. And you will most definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you Bre! You seriously are one of the most amazing woman I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the most amazing attitude! We are always praying for you and Chase! Keep staying strong and know you can call us for ANYTHING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear this news Breann, I know you are strong and and will get through this. God is amazing and has blessed us in so many ways since we just went through this. God Bless you and may he wrap his love all over you. Be praying for you. ((( hugs)))

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. BreAnne, you are awesome! I know you've got a great support system & I hope you'll let them/us help you in any way we can. I have to say, I am super impressed that you didn't waste any time getting to the dr. when you knew something wasn't quite right. Not everyone would do that. We're praying for you! Keep inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi BreAnne- My name is Chauntelle and I found your blog through a mutual facebook friend. I too am a cancer survivor. When I was 23 I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma stage 2a. I found a lump in my neck just above my collar bone too. After 4 months of chemo and six weeks of radiation I am cancer free! I am now 37 and have a beautiful little boy. Cancer changed my life for the better! I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that you are going to beat this! You are right, it is one of the easiest cancers to overcome. I would love to talk to you, answer any questions or just help you through one of the most overwhelming times in your life right now! I was so scared when I got my diagnosis but with the help of some good doctors, friends and family I made it through with no problems and now live a happy healthy life. Anytime you want to talk please email or call me! My phone number is 801-814-6757 and my email is cmcalhany@live.com. You can also friend me on facebook if you want! I am from Ogden and I can recommend some amazing doctors, websites and resources to help you! I hope to hear from you soon! Welcome to an elite club of cancer survivors! You can do this girl! -Chauntelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just heard about your blog last night. I've wanted to check on you but didn't want to be pest, since I'm just a "neighbor." I know "how are you doing" is going to get old really fast. I want you to know that I pray for you every night. I was inspired so much by reading all of your blogs tonight. What a mature, faithful young woman you are. I know from past experience that "trials" are the things that help us to grow and stretch. Often it's only in hindsight that we can see the positive traits that we've acquired through our tests. You are an amazing person. Thank you so much for being willing to have a blog and share your journey with us. Not only will you help those who have the same disease as you, but also your neighbors and friends. You've inspired me already to be better, to be kinder, to be more loving, more patient. Thank you so much for sharing "you." Love, Dawn Perry

    ReplyDelete